TWD: French Chocolate Brownies

This week in Tuesdays with Dorie, French Chocolate Brownies, a recipe picked by Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook.

Up till now I have only made one other brownie recipe, Sacher Brownies, but I did ate them a few times when I was in the States and I really like them. This recipe is great! Great taste, nice consistency, the occasional rum raisin, the odd top, just great!!

Nothing much was new in this recipe, the flambeeing I did already for the raisin snails, all the other stuff was pretty straight forward. The only scary moment was when I wanted to check if the cake was done and I inserted a small knife, part of the top collapsed, later when I checked the Problem and Question section at the TWD site I found out that happened to all of the other bakers too.
My trusty tasters loved this one too, H. thinks this is the best Dorie recipe so far!

Next week's recipe will be La Palette's Strawberry Tart, choosen by Marie of A Year From Oak Cottage.

French Chocolate Brownies
- makes 16 brownies -
Adapted from Baking From My Home to Yours.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
1/3 cup raisins, dark or golden
1 1/2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons dark rum
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons; 6 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into 12 pieces
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup sugar

Getting ready: Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 300°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with foil, butter the foil, place the pan on a baking sheet, and set aside.

Whisk together the flour, salt and cinnamon, if you're using it.

Put the raisins in a small saucepan with the water, bring to a boil over medium heat and cook until the water almost evaporates. Add the rum, let it warm for about 30 seconds, turn off the heat, stand back and ignite the rum. Allow the flames to die down, and set the raisins aside until needed.

Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Slowly and gently melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. Remove the bowl from the saucepan and add the butter, stirring so that it melts. It's important that the chocolate and butter not get very hot. However, if the butter is not melting, you can put the bowl back over the still-hot water for a minute. If you've got a couple of little bits of unmelted butter, leave them—it's better to have a few bits than to overheat the whole. Set the chocolate aside for the moment.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love that photo of the crackly top! This is one of my Dorie favorites so far, too. So hard to eat just one!
slush said…
Cant wait for you to see mine tomorrow, bc it look identical. I kid you not.

We loved them too. Its a keeper for sure.
Dolores said…
This was definitely the week of the collapsing brownie top. They taste great though. Good job!
looks good! nice and soft on the inside!
Anonymous said…
Wow, I think your crust looks really cool. Well done!
Anonymous said…
Love your pictures, your brownie looks just fabulous!
Engineer Baker said…
I love the crackled and collapsed top - it makes me feel better that everyone else had it happen too!
LyB said…
My brownie's top wasn't quite as cracked but they sure were delicious!
Sarah said…
Looks great and glad you enjoyed them!
Annemarie said…
Our brownies are identical! Mine looked just like that coming out of the oven. Yummy, though!
Anonymous said…
I think it's the best so far too! Yours look positively splendid!
Heather B said…
Great job! They look perfectly delicious!
Mary Ann said…
Ok-those look heavenly! great job
Katrina said…
my top cracked when I went to test it too! Glad it turned out well for you.
Anonymous said…
Wow that brownie looks amazing! I want to reach in the screen and eat it right now!
Anne said…
They look great, yum!
CB said…
Bummer about the collapsed brownie top. Mine didn't cave like some ppl's. Since I am a nerd I wonder why...? Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought
Jayne said…
The top of mine didn't cave but it did kind of dimple right where the knife had been. I love that first photo of yours!!
marae said…
mine didn't collapse either when i put my tester in but i also got a more 'uniform' crackly top..like crunched up paper. totally interesting how everyone's came out a little different! looks YUMMY though!
Amy said…
Your brownies look yummy!
Mari said…
Crackly top or not, your brownies look wonderful!
Christine said…
When I inserted the knife, my brownies caved too! Love the first photo! Good job!
Tammy said…
Your brownie looks so good! yummy and fudgey
Unknown said…
They look amazing, dramatic crack and all!
Beth said…
Love the picture! Great job :)
Anonymous said…
Your photos look amazing, I love the cracked top :)
Susie Homemaker said…
your photos are great...and on another note - i have been itching to try bakerellas oreo truffles too! i make her cupcake pops (so time consuming!) but i think these will be next! thanks for the motivation!
Liliana said…
Your brownies came out great! I think most of us experienced the 'cracked top' - it gives the brownies their own special trait!
Di said…
I love the picture of the cracked top. I'm glad that your taste testers enjoyed this one.
BAKE-EN said…
I really liked this brownies recipe too! So simple, yet incredibly delicious.
Jaime said…
i can't believe you have only made brownies one other time! your brownies look great! you got a thicker crust than i did it seems...when i read the P&Q i thought we all had the problem but now that i have seen the pics, some definitely have paper thin crusts, and some are thicker! mine is super thick...still tasted great though :)
Garrett said…
It is a bit scary seeing something deflate in the oven when you're not expecting it. Your crust looks great!
Jacque said…
Mmmm, yours look so yummy and inviting! Makes me wish I still had some, lol.
Lori said…
Mine collapsed too. That is like the San Andreas fault there on your brownie top. Isnt it amazing how the top was so crackly and the bottom so chewy, gooey.

Popular posts from this blog

Linzer Sablés

Advocaat Parfait

TWD: Brioche Raisin Snails