TWD: La Palette’s Strawberry Tart

Marie from A Year From Oak Cottage choose this week's Tuesdays with Dorie recipe: La Palette's Strawberry Tart.

I don't care much for strawberries on their own, but when they are ingredients in cakes, tarts, pies etc. I love them, add to that the fact that our local strawberries are in season and widely available in the shops and you'll get a tart that I looked forward to making!

I didn't want to make the whole tart because there aren't enough people around at the moment to finish it right away, so I ended up making four 4.5" tarts.

The dough was very easy to make, one of the things that can ruin a dough like this is using too warm butter, so I put the butter in the freezer a couple of hours before I needed it.
The recipe calls for freezing the dough when you've put it in the tart tin, an unusual step but it worked great.

I filled the baked tart shells with a store bought jam, since I ran out of my homemade jam. I think it would be even better with my own jam since I always add a little Stroh 80 rum before I can it, which just gives it something special.

I added a little splash kirsch and some cracked black pepper to the strawberries and topped the tarts with whipped cream.

The first bite I took, took me back to Konditorei, Dahinden in Weggis, Switzerland, when we were there on vacation we always drank coffee there with a slice of their fabulous strawberry pie. This pie is totally different, but now I know what made their pie stand out from others.... the kirsch! The kirsch gives the strawberries something special. The cracked pepper sounds odd but complements the tart nicely.
So what do we think of this tart? It's fabulous! We all loved it, I'll probably make it again and again, maybe exchange the jam for pastry cream, use different fruit, but this recipe is a keeper!

Dorie asked if we didn't put the recipes in our posts, so if you want to see the recipe buy Baking: From My House To Yours or enter in the give-away at the TWD site, which is also the pace where you can find the blog roll with all the other bakers.

Next week we will be making Peppermint Crem Puff Rings, chosen by Caroline of A Consuming Passion.

Comments

david santos said…
EURO 2008

HOLANDA CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gretchen Noelle said…
Great looking tart! I am sure it tasted delicious!
oh--those strawberries look fabulous! beautiful tart!
Anonymous said…
I would have loved to try this tart with kirsch. I agree, the black pepper was a good compliment.
Linda said…
A little rum in your homemade jam? ... I hope you'll be willing to share that recipe...that sounds fantastic!

I also loved the versatility of this recipe, and next time I think I'll try your approach with a little kirsch and black pepper. Beautiful photos!
CB said…
ooohhh I bet the kirsch was a sweet addition to the strawberries. I definitely want to try it the next time I make this... and trust me, there will be a next time! HAHA! Great job!
Clara @ I♥food4thought
Engineer Baker said…
I too am excited to try all sorts of variations with this idea. So simple, yet so wonderful!
Amy said…
Your tart looks great.
Heather B said…
I love your little tart! So cute and tasty! yum!
Jules Someone said…
This is gorgeous. I like the idea of just a little rum in the jam....
Anonymous said…
I love the look of your tarts! And trading the jam for pastry cream is an idea I can fully support. ;)
Di said…
Yum--that top photograph looks delicious! I'm not a fan of kirsch, but I'm going to have to try this with some framboise once I have a chance to pick up some more.
Anonymous said…
Rum in the jam? I like. I will have to try the kirsch.
Anonymous said…
Mmm. Gorgeous pictures! I got hungry just looking at them.
Sarah said…
Okay, rum in jam sounds awesome and the idea of using pastry cream just made me swoon. Looks great!
Anonymous said…
Lovely tart!
Prudy said…
I love the pastry cream idea. Yours looks de-lovely. I'm so looking forward to next week's challenge!
Anonymous said…
What a pretty tart! Great Job!
Amy said…
Beautiful! Great Job!
ostwestwind said…
The strawberry tart looks so delicous, I could lick the screen

Ulrike from Küchenlatein
Anonymous said…
Your tart looks fabulous! I will definitely have to add rum to the jam next time I make a tart because that sounds delicious. Your photography is lovely!
Christine said…
Your crust came out perfect! Great looking tart!
Jayne said…
Lovely job! We didn't have any kirsch, so I didn't add it, but now I'd like to try it again WITH.
Susie Homemaker said…
What a great looking tart! Yum-O!
Jacque said…
Wow, that looks fantastic and your tart shell... perfecto!

I used pastry cream with mine and it was soooo good. I've been eating pastry cream and jam on toast and it's even great.
Anonymous said…
great job, it looks absolutely beautiful! the crust looks perfect. rum in your homemade jam sounds interesting.
Unknown said…
I am sorry I have not been around in a while but I see you have been busy with great bakes! The tart looks wonderful!
I'm going to have to try making this tart with pastry cream someday. Sounds delicious!
Shari@Whisk: a food blog
Jaime said…
beautiful tart! love the first photo!

Popular posts from this blog

Linzer Sablés

Advocaat Parfait

TWD: Brioche Raisin Snails