TWD: Double Crusted Blueberry Pie

Last week I wasn't able to do my Dorie bake but this week I made the Double Crusted Blueberry Pie picked by Amy from South in Your Mouth, You can find the recipe for this pie in Dorie's fabulous Baking: From My House To Yoursor at Amy's site.

With the prices of blueberries here being 2.99 euro for 125 grams, I figured out I needed about $20 in blueberries for this pie, now I like to stick to the recipe, but that was a little too much for me. So I used some more of the frozen berries that I also used for the mixed berry cobbler we baked 2 weeks ago.
Shortening is also a thing that is hard to come by on this side of the pond so I used the cheapest hardest margarine I could find as a substitute, which worked out fine.

I used my food processor to mix all the ingredients which made life so much easier. The pie came together very easy. The only thing I forgot was to sprinkle it with sugar but I don't think that that made a lot of difference.
The taste was great, the crust nice and flaky as a pie should be, the berries sweet yet tart, all together a great recipe. Now if only the price of the blueberries came down so I could make it the way it was supposed to be....

With over 200 Dorie members I find it harder and harder to leave comments on everyones blog, so I've decided to just leave comments on a random number of blogs, hope you gal/guys understand!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Of course we understand! I used to go through everyone's blog, now I hit about 100 random blogs, and that takes a while! Your pie looks wonderful - I love the look of that golden crust.
Anonymous said…
Your pie looks gorgeous!

I completely understand on the blogs thing. I do the same thing. I skim them all in my google reader and then just stop by the ones that catch my eye along with my "regular stops".
Anonymous said…
Blueberrries are quite pricey here too. Good job using frozen, I should really try that sometime. I totally understand about the 200+ blogs. We're a big lot aren't we?
Rigby said…
Your pie looks good. It's making wish I had some to go with my morning coffee :)
Kaitlin said…
Looks yummy. I'm glad your modifications worked out!

It's funny, I forgot to sprinkle sugar on top, too -- and I only realized it after reading this entry.
Mary Ann said…
Totally understand! Your pie looks delicious!
Engineer Baker said…
That pie looks delicious! I agree though, finding time to comment on all the blogs eats up my Tuesdays!
Annemarie said…
I love the mixed berry idea. I'll have to try that. Another great job!!
kimberly salem said…
great job on the pie, i'm glad your changes worked out so well!
Bumblebutton said…
Nice job--it looks delicious! Mixed berries are the best--,although where I live blueberries are at peak and I'm getting a little tired of trying to clean up blueberry stains.
Prudy said…
Smart move on the frozen berries. The price for blue would have been outrageous. I know what you mean about the comments-it's pretty time consuming. I aim for half the alphabet each week.:)
Anonymous said…
Your pie looks so pretty! I agree that it's getting harder and harder to comment on everyone's blog- our group has gotten bigger than I imagined it would!
Sharon said…
I am with you on the amount of blogs....I look ad a few and comment, then scroll down and look at a few mor....and again and again. It helps that I look at this during slow times at work. I try to at least hit 25-30 blogs, sometimes I get a few more, but it is getting harder.
Susie Homemaker said…
you are right - i try hitting ALL the blogs, but it takes soooo much time! with so many TWDers now, I am gonna have to do more skimming! Your pie looks amazing BTW!
Christine said…
It is getting harder and harder to hit everyone's blog so I understand! Your pie looks delicious!
Pamela said…
It's definitely tough to leave comments on all of the blogs. I try to look during the slow parts of the day, when someone isn't tugging at me or asking me to play super heroes. Obviously, it doesn't happen that often! ;o)
Good job on the pie!
Steph said…
Your crust looks great even with the margarine substitution. I might give that a try instead of shortenting! The crust looks amazing!
Linda said…
fantastic job on the pie! i love that our group is getting bigger, but it's definitely getting harder to visit everyone's blog every week.
PheMom said…
I think it looks fabulous! Glad it worked out for you!
Good for you for finding substitutions for the shortening and blueberries! Your pie looks delicious!
Mari said…
The color of those mixed berries looks fantastic! Missed you last week, glad to see you back in action!
Jules Someone said…
See, that's why it's Sunday, and I'm still leaving comments. Takes a while! NIce looking pie!

Popular posts from this blog

Linzer Sablés

Advocaat Parfait

TWD: Brioche Raisin Snails