TWD: Creme Brulee

Finally a new Tuesdays with Dorie, this time picked by Mevrouw Cupcake (I'm probably one of the few in the group that can pronounce that correctly :-)) and what a great pick it was. She choose Creme Brulee, one of my all time favorite desserts. You can find the full recipe in Dorie Greenspan's Baking From My House To Yours, or Mari's blog.

I halved the recipe since there are only three people here at the moment. The custard was easy to make and I 'm getting much more comfortable with making those after making a few different ice cream recipes, flan and my own creme brulee recipe a couple of times.

When I make my own recipe I use a vanilla bean that I steep in the warmed up cream and milk, Dorie's recipe uses vanila extract.
I used the vanilla extract that I brought home from Mexico last April, this is the reason my custard is so dark!
(egg yolks, sugar and vanilla extract)

Since I have the new oven, I still discover new things, one of those tings was that the lowest temperature I get in it (with the door closed) is 230 F, the recipe called for 200 F. I didn't want to end up with ramekins filled with scrambled eggs, so I decided to go the water bath route.
I cranked the oven up to 300 F, put my ramekins in an oven dish, filled the dish with hot water (halfway up the ramekins) and baked them for 35 minutes.
The end result was tasty! Very different from my own recipe, these were not as rich, if I make mine you just want to hang out on the couch for a few hours and not think about food for a while. These were lighter and are a nice alternative if you still have plans after dinner :-)

Thanks a lot Mari for picking one of my favorites!

Next week: Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake

Comments

Anonymous said…
Mexican vanilla is the VERY best, in my opinion. Your photos are great!
Sarah said…
I wish I had gone the water bath route...mine never did set up right, even after over 2 hours in the oven! great job and glad you liked the recipe!
i love mexican vanilla!! i bet they were great!
Bria said…
Beautiful looking creme brulee!! The brulee looks wonderful! I also liked how it wasn't too heavy, but I found it a little too sweet.
vibi said…
Ahhhh! I'll say like your blog says... that's Living the Life, ain't it? Mexican vanilla... hummmm... yo quiero mucho!
Betya it was amazing!
BRAVO!
Anonymous said…
I love Mexican vanilla too. Your photos came out nicely .. I had a heck of a time shooting mine,uurrr! Great job!
Engineer Baker said…
Mexican vanilla (real mexican vanilla) sounds wonderful. Beautiful bruleed top.
Mari said…
I was so tempted to give mine a water bath, but I stuck to the recipe. Let it be said I prefer the water bath, cream and egg yolk heavy version, but this one was good.

I'm trying to quell my envy over your Mexican vanilla, nothing beats the intensity of flavor! Madagascan vanilla just doesn't pack the same punch!
Anonymous said…
That mexican vanilla looks SO interesting! It must be so complex and delicious!
CB said…
Thats so interesting that your oven didn't go down to 200F. It reminds me that baking in different countries sometimes needs adjustments. Awesome improvisation with the water bath. Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought
Christine said…
I wish I had gone the water bath route, mine took forever to bake. Yours look delicious!
Anonymous said…
Your creme brulee looks delicious. After preparing a lot of creme brulee I switched to the non-water-bath version. With the waterbath I never knew when the cream was ok.
Shelby said…
Yes, Mexican Vanilla is the best. I had someone give me a bottle once and I have always wished for more. We would make vanilla ice cream with it and it had almost a cinnamony taste. I bet your brule was awesome!
Nancy/n.o.e said…
Great idea: pick your recipe depending on the after dinner plans of the group! Your creme brulees look beautiful.
Nancy
Anonymous said…
Your brulee looks gorgeous. I'll have to try Mexican vanilla, especially since the local gourmet shop owner said they don't stock Madagascar vanilla b/c of environmental/political reasons.
Pamela said…
I don't think I've ever tried Mexican vanilla. I guess I need to get some! I never even thought about going to the hardware store for the torch! Oh, well!!
I also used vanilla beans - yummy!
Unknown said…
Good decision on the water bath...I think it's the only way to go. Your creme brulees look great.

I actually did order some vlokken and vruchtenhagel - I got a little combination package with some of everything. Very excited to try the peanut butter idea!
Anonymous said…
Mexican vanilla is so good! Yours looks perfect- I love the color!

Popular posts from this blog

Linzer Sablés

Advocaat Parfait

TWD: Brioche Raisin Snails