Butterflied Chipotle Chicken


Yesterday I made an all time favorite here, my butterflied chipotle chicken. This time I did some experimenting, last weeks I smoked two chicken legs and used barbecue sauce on them and liked it a lot, so this time I tried one chicken with sauce and one naked.
Well the sauced one was the first to go, so it looks like we have a winner here!

Also I used apple wood for smoking this time instead of the hickory I normally use for this recipe, no complaints about that either! Best thing is that I have lot of apple wood that I bought dirt cheap locally and the hickory comes from weber and is 8 euro a tiny bag!

Ingredients
For the chipotle spice rub:
1/4 cup sea salt
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon union powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 freshly ground chipotles (stems and seeds removed)

For the glaze:
barbecue sauce (I used Jack Daniel Barbecue Sauce)
honey

olive or vegetable oil
2 chickens
1 bottle or can of beer


Preperation
Butterfly the chickens, here is a great demonstration on how to do that, made by Chris Allingham from the Virtual Weber Bullet.


Wash and dry the chickens with paper towel. Rub the chickens with oil and then with the spice rub. Put them in the fridge for about 3 hours.

Prepare the barbecue for indirect grilling, you want to get a temperature of about 350 F.
Place a drip pan under the spot where your chickens will go and fill it with beer.
Add your smoke wood to the fire and place your chickens on the barbecue.

It will take about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hour before they are done, depending on the size of your chickens.

Make a glaze of 60% barbecue sauce and 40% honey. Glaze your chickens 15 minutes before they are done, this way the glaze can caramelize.

Take your chickens of the barbecue and let them rest under foil for 10 minutes before serving them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Linzer Sablés

Advocaat Parfait

TWD: Brioche Raisin Snails